Health and safety information


We would like to begin this chapter by repeating some of the well-known but often neglected facts and principles, the violation of which often leads to the poisoning of animals that could have otherwise been prevented.

In many cases, poisoning of animals occurs due to the carelessness of their owners, who fail to provide for safe storage of dangerous substances in the kitchen, bathroom, closet, or elsewhere in the home; or who allow their animals to be in the workshop or garage without supervision, or improperly use or forget various chemicals in the garden. Often, mainly in people’s apartments, the cause of poisoning is the growing of highly poisonous plants, which the animals ingest.

Keep animals out of wherever there may be various chemical substances being stored, be it garage, workshop, or garden house. If an animal is allowed into these places, then the owner should always be present. Definitely do not shut an animal into these places, either overnight or even for a short time, because of a visitor for example.

Another very important warning deals with the very widespread, absolutely wrong and dangerous habit of storing chemicals in other than their original containers, especially in beverage containers. There are very frequent accidents in which a person by mistake drinks some chemical substance from a beverage container, or pours the substance out believing that it is water, and an animal licks it or drinks it. Therefore NEVER TRANSFER chemical substances from their original container into another; if you must draw off part of it, then always into plastic or glass containers that do not resemble those of any medicine, food, or beverage bottle, or bottle containing other chemicals. Properly label the vessel with all the information shown on the original container (name of substance, composition, health warnings). Keep in mind the principle that the substitute container must be made of the same material as the original container, otherwise a reaction may occur between the container and the chemical, leading to the possible creation of new toxic substance, or leakage of the chemical through the container.


In giving first aid, observe the rules shown in the section Advice for the Public – First Aid. As a matter of principle never give any remedy to an animal that is unconscious, or shows neurological symptoms or cramps.

TIC – Toxicology Information Centre

Inside home

  • Glues
  • Modelling clay, paints
  • Air fresheners, scents, perfumes, deodorants
  • Wax, candles, lamp oil
  • Bleach
  • Disinfectants
  • Detergents, shampoos, soaps, etc.
  • Toothpaste and dental hygiene
  • Hair dye
  • Cleaning products for furniture and floor
  • Cleaning products for bathroom and toilet
  • Cleaning products for windows and mirrors
  • Cleaning products for grill, drain cleaners
  • Shoe care products
  • Moth repellent
  • Fertilizer and sprays for house plants
  • Artificial sweetener xylitol
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Medicines
  • Tobacco
  • Poisonous plants

Car products

  • Air freshener
  • Liquid anti-freeze
  • Batteries
  • Exhaust fumes
  • Motor oil
  • Petrol and diesel fuel
  • Solvents, thinners, and rust removers


  • Insect repellent, fly paper
  • Insecticides
  • Rodenticides
  • Molluscocides
  • Fungicides
  • Paints and thinners
  • Road salt and ice remover
  • Swimming pool chemicals
  • Fertilizers
  • Fire starter fluid, matches
  • Snakes
  • Poisonous plants
  • Mushrooms 

Pet care

  • Insect repellents, animal repellents
  • Anti-flea and tic preparations, medicines
  • Cat litter
  • Aquarium chemicals


  • Glues
  • Pencils, pens, markers, ink
  • Toners and printer ink