• Most glues are not highly toxic. If they are ingested the main threat is from gluing together of tissue, or blockage of the digestive tract or respiratory system if the substance gets into the oesophagus.
  • For example the frequently-used glues based on cyanoacrylate irritate the membranes of eyes, nose, and mouth, and contact with skin may result in an allergic reaction. Its overall toxicity, however, is very low.
  • Other glues as well – isocyanate, polyvinyl acetate, expoxy – usually have local irritating effects only.
  • Most instant glues dry immediately, thus there are few instances of swallowing it. Usually only the oral cavity or skin is affected. The moisture in the mouth of an animal causes any layer of glue to peel off within a few days. For animals that do not sweat it is good to moisten the affected area, and repeatedly wash it with soapy water to get it to peel off faster. With glued-together nostrils, glue in the eyes, or a great quantity of glue ingested, don’t try removing it yourself. With other glues, when giving first aid try to wipe it off the skin and mucous membranes using a damp cloth.

Pencils, pens, markers, ink:

  • Pencils, crayons, markers, etc. intended for children are non-toxic products. If larger quantities are ingested there may be irritation of the mucous membranes or digestive tract, salivation, nausea, possibly vomiting. However, the ingestion of chewed-up parts which may have sharp points or edges may cause puncture of tissue.
  • Ball-point pens contain substances the precise composition of which is difficult to track down (protected by patent), but generally they are based on oil, glycerine, organic alcohols, etc. along with pigments, but their toxicity is very low. They cause only irritation, possibly nausea.
  • Markers, whiteout, etc. often contain grain or other alcohol, possibly some aldehydes and ketones, but in small quantities only. These substances may cause irritation of mucous membranes, salivation, and vomiting; if ingested in large quantities the consciousness is affected.
  • Classic inks may contain pigments and various solvents, tensides, resins, and other substances. Ink in larger doses is dangerous, with possible irritation to mucous membranes and the digestive tract, nausea, possibly vomiting. Sometimes confusion, headache, and neurological symptoms may appear.
  • For first aid, it is recommended to wash the affected area, and in case of ingestion give the animal water to drink; do not induce vomiting. Activated charcoal can be given, but its effectiveness is unproven in this situation. In case of ingestion or suspicion of ingestion of sharp fragments, transport the animal to the veterinarian without delay.

Toners and printer ink:

  • These mainly contain glycerine, organic alcohols, pigments, and toners also acrylate polymers and ferrous oxides.
  • The toxicity of these products is relatively low.
  • The toner may irritate eyes and mucous membrane on contact, skin little if at all. If ingested the substances will irritate the oral cavity, throat, and digestive tract, leading to salivation, vomiting, throat pain, and coughing. In larger doses they may also cause confusion and fatigue.
  • In giving first aid, wash the skin and mucous membrane with water, possibly with a bit of soap; otherwise give the animal water to dilute the substance, and you can try to give it activated charcoal, though its effectiveness is not proven.